Thursday, January 3, 2013

"Eye" Candy

Our trip to the eye doctor today proved to be a good chuckle.... I'll share.  My 7 year old son Carson got his first pair of glasses last year at this time so he was due back for his annual exam and today was the day.  Let me preface today's events with the past couple weeks. 

I have been very impressed that Carson lasted his first year of glasses with no casualties on the frames or lenses.  I was especially surprised because a friend of mine had a horrible time with her son's first year with glasses (you know who you are).  Granted, we did have to make frequent trips to the office for a proper cleaning and adjustments, but other than that, they have survived quite well.  A couple weeks ago (a few days before Christmas break) Carson was not wearing his glasses very often.  I had known in the past he won't wear them when they are in need of an adjustment  but when asked this time, he didn't seem to think they were bent so I just told him he didn't need to wear them to school and we would take him over break for his annual exam to see if he needed a new prescription.  At the beginning of this week I asked him again if his frames needed adjusting and he said, "Yes, but they are fuzzy too".  As a mother, "fuzzy" meant that his vision is blurry when he looks through his lenses & he will be getting a new prescription by week's end. 

Today when we arrived for the eye appointment I had the super nice lady who adjusts his frames regularly to do just that.  She dutifully took his glasses and came back a minute later, placing them on Carson's cute face.  To our delight Carson stated "A-ha!  They aren't fuzzy anymore!"  Apparently "fuzzy" means "dirty" not "my vision is blurry" (I took mental note).  He proceeded to the exam room with the Dr. and came out with a very minor change to his prescription. 

Since he has taken pretty good care of his first pair of glasses we get to use those as a backup pair and we did order a new pair which will be in in about a week.  When the same lady asked Carson to come on back so she could measure him he replied, "Oh that's okay, last time we measured, I was 4 feet 2 inches."  The front office ladies and I had a good chuckle with that.  Sweet Carson :)

No comments:

Post a Comment